Friday, February 26, 2010

Six Degrees of Separation

This weekend is the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Awards, where the ASC honors it’s own for their amazing ability to photography images. Several of the nominees are also friends of mine, people who I have gotten to know over the years working with them. Their images have made memorable impressions on anyone who has ever watched a movie, or a television show, or a commercial, and laughed or cried. They have the ability to make us feel what the storyteller is trying to tell.

Seven years ago, I was pregnant with my first child, working for a great company, and enjoying life. My husband and I lived in a beautiful little Spanish house in Hollywood Hills. One day, I came home from work and there was a letter in the mail. A letter telling me that I had been accepted as an associate member of the ASC. I was so excited. This was something I had always wanted, but never thought would happen. At last, I would be a part of this elite organization of artists. I shouted out to my husband, “I got accepted as an associate member of the ASC, can you believe it?” He looked at me and said, “Wow, you seem more excited about this than about being pregnant.” Without thinking I said, “But this is a lifetime membership, a lifetime commitment.” He looked at me funny and said, “So is having a child.” Hmmm…

As time went on, we had our child, Owen, and found out he had Down syndrome. To this day, I will never forget the support and love that I got from members of the ASC. As I began to deal with the diagnosis, I worked on hosting the first fundraiser for Down syndrome research (www.dsrtf.org). And guess who offered me the space to host it? The ASC (www.theasc.com). Their clubhouse, located in the heart of Hollywood, was the perfect venue for our fundraiser. The membership opened their arms to my cause. I remember Billy Fraker, ASC, five-time Oscar nominee (“Murphy’s Romance,” “War Games” and “Rosemary’s Baby” to name a few) always asking me how my son was doing after he was born. He never forgot to ask. And he generously supported our fundraiser. Then there is Owen Roizman, ASC (“Tootsie,” “The Exorcist,” “French Connection,” among others) a legendary cinematographer (our son was named after him), who never forgets to call me “mommy” and ask about his namesake. They all supported me in what was probably my darkest time.

As I get ready for the festivities tonight and tomorrow night, I think about how much crossover there is in my life. So many “degrees of separation.” And these relationships have been forged through my work, through the years of spending time with some of the greatest cinematographers. A few weeks ago, I ran into Ken Zunder, ASC, who shot “Judging Amy,” one of my favorite shows. (I breastfed my son with Down syndrome many nights watching reruns of “Judging Amy”). My husband and I visited the set years ago. Then, surprisingly, I saw Amy Brenneman (who played Amy) at a fundraiser for Chime Institute, which is a school for kids with disabilities. Her daughter attends the school. She wrote this amazing essay that captured it all completely about dealing with a child with a disability. When I saw Ken, he put me in touch with her assistant, who was able to ask Amy if she would share her essay. And her assistant, who has a niece with Down syndrome, was able to share it with me. So, tomorrow I will post Amy’s essay.

1 comment:

  1. You named your son after the man who shot The Taking of Pelham One Two Three!!??? I never knew that. That is just beautiful, it really is.

    ReplyDelete